03 Feb Lambert, Edwards & Associates & Infegy Examine Social Media Impact of Super Bowl XLVIII
DETROIT – February 3, 2014 – Super Bowl XLVIII is in the books and all that remains is the post-game analysis. This year, Lambert, Edwards & Associates (LE&A), a top-10 Midwest-based public relations firm, and Infegy, a social media monitoring and analytics firm, teamed up to conduct an in-depth look at the social media impact of Super Bowl 2014.
From 12AMCST Feb. 2 – 11:30PMCST Feb. 2 there were more than 39.5 million conversations happening in social media about the Super Bowl. Using Social Analytics Platform Social Radar, LE&A and Infegy were able to determine the true winners of the big game and make some comparisons to previous Super Bowls. Results of the study are available at www.lambert-edwards.com/superbowl. Among the results:
1. Gender distribution: Pre-game discussions were driven by men, who accounted for 67% of all posts. This shifted to 53% men, 47% women posting during the game.
2. Top 3 commercials by volume were driven by posts from women: Women represented the majority of commentators for Budweiser’s Puppy Love, H&M’s TV Purchase, Beat’s Goldilocks (featuring Ellen Degeneres).
3. Auto commercials: Chevy’s #Romance won by volume with 32,699 mentions, #Maserati was second with 26,804 mentions. Hyundai’s #SixthSense won by favorability with 88% of conversations positive. Jaguar’s #GoodToBeBad was also well received with 80% positive conversations.
4. Half-time discussions: Parties and ads maintained their share of conversation volume from 2013, however, halftime discussions were cut nearly in half. Bruno and RHCP simply did not have the star power of Beyonce or the shock and awe of Beyonce reuniting with Destiny’s child for her performance.
5. Microblogs (Twitter and Facebook) were the preferred choice: Following a continued shift away from longer form social media platforms like blogs and forums, Twitter and Facebook accounted for 99% of the total conversation volume this year, the highest recorded in the last seven years.
About Lambert, Edwards & Associates
LE&A (www.lambert-edwards.com) is a top-10 Midwest-based PR firm and a top-20 investor relations firm nationally with clients based in 20 states and five countries. LE&A offers digital strategies focused on connecting the firm’s clients directly with consumers using social media. LE&A has posted 14 years of growth, been named an Edward Lowe “Michigan 50 Companies to Watch” and been named Small Firm of the Year by both national publications PRWeek and PRNews, as well as the 2013 Bulldog Financial Agency of the Year. Follow us on Twitter @LambertEdwards.
About Infegy and Social Radar
Since 2007, Infegy’s cloud-based technologies have been transforming huge volumes of dialog and commentary into valuable consumer insights for major brands and agencies. The company’s flagship product, Social Radar, is a social media analytics platform that enables users to truly understand consumers in the social landscape. Social Radar makes this possible through a massive data archive stretching back through 2007 analyzed by proprietary algorithms that deeply understand language and its structure. These algorithms provide accurate and in-depth measures such as contextual sentiment, passion, topic extraction, thematic categorization, headline generation and more.
Lambert, Edwards & Associates